Monday, April 28, 2008

California

I have been in the USA for over a week now, and am leaving for Cancun, Mexico tommorow. I've had a fantastic time sampling the sights, sounds, and very large meals.
Sights so far include:
*Pacific Beach, San Diego
*San Diego Zoo
*Balboa Park
*Old Town San Diego
*Los Angeles- Downtown and Hollywood
*Universal Studios
*The oldest mission in California
*Anza-Borrego desert
*Julian, CA
There's a huge buzz with the primary elections nearing the climax tommorrow (Super Tuesday). I'm happy to report that the number of Ron Paul's billboards far outweigh any other candidates, and a common slogan is "Ron Paul Revolution". It's almost cult-ish.
I have been suprised by the diversity of landscapes and climates. On Saturday Angela took me on a day trip through the Anza-Borrego desert, which is an amazing sight, covered in cacti. On our way there we passed by huge forests devestated by the October fires. Most were blackened stumps. We stopped off in Julian, a historic town famous for its quaintness and apple pies, before making our way back to San Diego with its stunning white sand beaches.
I had a great time in Los Angeles, staying on Hollywood Boulevard, which is tacky and glamourous and slightly insane... The highlight for me was Downtown, a predominately Hispanic area with the most amazing Mexican food and pawn shops.
I'll be back in California in April, so hopefully I will have time to explore some more.

No comments: